Experienced Missouri Domestic Violence Attorneys Protecting You from Abuse
Your home is meant to be a safe haven for everyone in it, so when your safety or that of your children is put in jeopardy by a partner’s domestic abuse, then you need help quickly.
Missouri’s courts are serious about protecting all victims of domestic abuse. Anyone who threatens the safety and peace of their partners and/or children in Missouri can go to jail if they are found guilty.
If you’re a victim of abuse or feel threatened by your partner’s violent tendencies, you need to speak to a domestic violence lawyer in Jefferson County, MO, immediately.
Grafe & Batchelor Attorneys at Law are skilled lawyers with experience in handling domestic violence cases. As a result, we understand the danger you’re in and will do everything possible to help you secure an immediate order of protection from the Jefferson County courts in Missouri.
Once you get this order, it restrains the abuser from coming near you and/or your children until the case is decided. If you’ve been abused and you’re worried about your life and safety, contact Grafe & Batchelor Attorneys at Law today at 636-933-9151 to schedule a free consultation.
When’s the Best Time to Seek Protection?
You should seek protection as soon as you feel threatened regarding your safety and/or that of your children. The state of Missouri has enacted very stringent laws against perpetrators of domestic abuse and violence. If you fully understand it, the law in this case is designed to be on your side, and we want to help you utilize it as quickly as possible.
At Grafe & Batchelor Attorneys at Law, you’ll be working with seasoned domestic violence attorneys who understand the situation you’re in. We’ll represent you in court during the proceedings and work hard to help you stay safe.
Missouri’s courts are clear on what constitutes domestic violence and abuse. Some of these are:
- Physical attacks designed to cause harm and injure the victim
- A victim sustaining injuries from the attacks carried out by the abuser
- Sexual assaults
- Actions that indicate threats to the victim’s safety- this includes stalking and verbal threats
If you feel that your safety or that of your children are at risk in your home, you should get help immediately. Call 911. Then, when you need us, call Grafe & Batchelor at 636-933-9151 to discuss your options and expedite the process of securing an order of protection.
Domestic Abuse Laws in Missouri
Missouri currently has four degrees of domestic assault categories. These degrees are based on the severity of the crime, as well as the threat to the life of the victim involved. These degrees include:
- 1st degree- this is when the aggressor either knowingly causes or attempts to cause the victim significant physical injury. It also includes actions aimed at causing death
- 2nd degree- people who try to cause their partners significant physical or bodily injury using deadly or dangerous weapons are charged with second-degree domestic assault
- 3rd degree- when the aggressor attempts to cause or intentionally causes physical injury to the victim using a deadly weapon. It also applies to the accused threatening the victim with a dangerous weapon, thus causing them to think they’re in danger of being injured, hurt, or killed
- 4th degree- this is when the abuser intentionally tries to or succeeds in causing the victim pain, injury, or sickness
What is an Order of Protection?
To protect the victim and temporarily or permanently stop abuse, Missouri’s court judges will often award orders of protection.
An order of protection is a legal order compelling the aggressor to stay away from the victim temporarily or permanently. There are two types of protection orders in Jefferson County, MO:
- Ex parte order- this is a temporary order designed to immediately put some distance between the accused and their victims
- Full order- this is an order of protection that lasts as long as the judge thinks is necessary. This is only granted after the case is heard in court
Grafe & Batchelor Attorneys at Law Can Help
In situations of domestic violence, getting the protection you deserve and putting distance between a victim and an abuser is very important. If you need experienced domestic violence attorneys in Festus, MO to represent you and ensure your safety, Grafe & Batchelor Attorneys at Law can help.
We have a passion for helping victims in cases like this. We want victims of abuse to regain their freedom, get their lives back on track, and keep their aggressors away.
If you want assistance protecting yourself and your loved ones, get in touch with us today at 636-933-9151 to schedule a free consultation.